Monday, September 26, 2011

Today's meals: I give them an okay. BUT: there were three items that were AWESOME.
Banana Muffins
Corn from the Freezer
Honey Butter finger rolls

The Banana Muffins were my mom's recipe, which somehow always turns into a light colored banana bread for me - although when she makes it, it's always dark. Hm. I used the brown bananas that we froze a few weeks ago - so perfect! the are mashed as soon as they are defrosted.

The Corn is so, so good - I bought a LOT of ears of corn this summer every time I could find it on sale. There was one place selling it for $1 a dozen - so every week I bought 5 dozen.
Then I brought it home, tugged the dangling silk and extra leaves off, left the rest of the silk and husks on. Put them right on the grill at medium, rotate a time or two. Done when the leaves turn brown and dry.
I pile them up on my half sheet pan - by the time we are done eating them for supper, the rest are cool enough to handle. My dad made me a corn holder that fits in my cake pan, and I use my corn cutter to slice it off. Pop it in the freezer bags.
The best thing about making it this way: Tastes GREAT. Is INSANELY EASY. And reheats quickly - the frozen corn does not have that "starchy" icky taste that store-bought does.
*Side note: my brother said they're down "when they look like field corn" - which is a perfect description IF you are a farmer! Every time I make grilled corn I think of you, Jeff.*

Honey Butter Finger Rolls were really easy - I took my loaf of dough, cut it into a LOT of slices (I think about 15). Dipped each piece in a honey-melted butter mixture, squished them back together on a half sheet pan, and baked as usual. Pulls apart! so good. Dad said his mom used to make it this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment